Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Suffragette quiltalong - putting together the squares

After putting sashing on one side of all the squares, I started then to sew it to the opposite side.  Then I thought, wait a minute, I don't need to do that!  So rip those out, and now although I wasn't going to put cornerstones, I guess I have to since I have so many of the 8.5" strips already cut!  But it turns out that's a good thing since my sashing is so light, and it needs medium to medium-dark cornerstones I think.  I am going through all my scraps from making this quilt which I saved in one bag - thank goodness.  I will have to cut just a few pieces of fabric to have enough 2.5" squares.  Funny how things work out!  Of course I could say I planned it this way all along... this is how it is looking without the sashing/cornerstone strips.  Not sure about borders but will figure that out as I go.  Since purple is my favorite color, and this quilt is for ME, it likely will be a purplish border. 

These are laid out in the order in which I made them, 1 through 49, so I could see if my color selection and sewing improved any from start to finish.  But some I like more than others so I will rearrange a few and put the favorites in the middle, like my sunbonnet girl, the parasol, coffee cup, Kansas sunflower, heroine's crown.  This has been fun!

1 comment:

tudorc said...

This is so pretty - can't wait to see it all together with corner stones! What color is your sashing - can't tell from the picture...